Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Acceptance

There comes a point near the end of pregnancy where a woman accepts the fact that she is going to be pregnant forever. That's also usually about the time she goes into labor.

I have accepted the fact I am never going to sleep again. Maybe it will work the same way.

The girls are still sick. Adia woke up needing to pee in the middle of the night, which woke me up. When she got back into bed, she lay there coughing. I was nursing Francesca, so I couldn't do anything about it. Finally, she let got and I went in and offered to set up the nebulizer. Charles said he hadn't planned to, but that I could if I felt like she needed it.

By the time he brought her up here, she was doing that cough where you know she's on the brink of puking. She took it pretty well, and I'm almost certain that she fell asleep several times over the course of the treatment.

For the second time last night, I had trouble falling asleep. (The initial sleep was slow to come too.) Long after Adia finished her last coughs, I was still laying there awake.

Today was long, in that both girls felt better enough to run and play and FIGHT. They were not at 100%, though, and they really needed not to be doing any of those. It took 2.5 hours to get Francesca down for a 1.5 hour nap. If she hadn't been so sick the last few days, it would've been a no-nap day. (Also, I'm not feeling my best so I needed the break too. Selfish, maybe, but true.)

Charles brought home the year's first box from the co-op. We got bok-choy, arugula (which I say in my best Steve Martin imitation), strawberries (!!!), head lettuce, salad mix, garlic scapes, French breakfast radishes (mmmm!), and a bonus carton of eggs. I can't wait to have a big salad tomorrow night. Which reminds me that I need to make a grocery list so I can go later or tomorrow or something.

Adia's done with her treatments now, so I suppose I'll be done with this. (Francesca requested I get on, and then she ran away.)

No comments: