Friday, September 4, 2009

The dog

I should update on this, too.

I finally decided that I don't need to keep putting my life on hold until our house sells, so I put in my application for a retired racing greyhound in the middle of August. I had my phone interview a few days later, and then we had our home visit last weekend. It was really informative, and it was long enough for me to remember the questions I had had.  I feel like the rescue group is really dedicated to making sure that the right dogs go to the right homes, which includes making sure that the home is ready and able to care for the dog. (Not just monetarily either.)  They advised me that the haul coming in the middle of September was full, but that there should be one at the end of the month too.I was thinking it would take some time to find a greyhound that was cat/kid-friendly AND would do okay in a house without a fence. So I didn't even have my hopes up too high for that haul. (Besides, I've been waiting a year to even apply, so a few weeks were no big.)

Tuesday we spent the day in Fredericksburg, and when I got home I found a voicemail from another woman at the rescue. Turns out they had a dog coming up on the mid-month haul who meets our needs, and would we like her? So, yeah. Now we're scrambling to get everything together, but it looks like it's going to work out. They let me know that I don't have to bring the kids to the adoption event, which is really nice. I will be able to concentrate (well, as much as I ever am. ;) I ordered the collar last night, but I chose just to put our last name/cell phone number on it. (And, yes Alice, I realized after I hung up that I could've embroidered my own. Dur.) We're definitely going to change her name, and we have a shortlist, but I want to meet her first. I've seen pictures, but I want to see her coloring in person. She's 4 years old, and she's being vetted today!  I have requests out on Freecycle for some of the stuff we need, and we're going to Costco/Petsmart/WallyWorld for the rest of it. Oh, and we need to put something up high to keep the kids from being able ot open the door and let her out, since we don't have a fence.

No comments: