Friday, September 4, 2009

3 days until school starts!

We had kindergarten orientation yesterday. Charles got back from his meetings out of town in time to meet us there. (As in, we arrived at the same time and got to park beside each other.)

Adia's teacher is brand-new, which is kinda cool, since it's just like Miss Binney in Ramona. :) A was painfully shy and opted not to play with the toys while the teacher talked to the parents. (She stayed with us.) Unfortunately we hadn't gotten the heads-up that they would be offered the chance to take a practice ride on the bus. I say unfortunately because that meant we didn't have any time to prepare her. She flipped and declared we would be driving her to school everyday. (No.) So her first experience on the schoolbus will be the first day of school.

I gave the teacher a heads-up that Adia is reading on at least a 2nd grade level already. I'm not sure she believed me, but she said they do evals a few weeks into classes, so I guess they'll find out then.

Overall, I'm pretty sure we're making the right decision to put her in school. The academics of homeschooling her don't worry me, but the socialization does. I know most kids are fine being homeschooled, and I'm not knocking it in the least. But Adia really needs to have the chance to get out there alone and learn how to socialize with her peers. (And new adults too.)

No comments: